Thursday, April 14, 2016

Spring Time Flowers

     This time last year I was doing a project for my AP Psychology class and we had to pick a service project to do. I decided to plant two flowers everyday for my mom before she came home from work to surprise her, and give her something to look forward to everyday. After we were done with the service project, I realized how fun it was to do that every day and so this year I decided I want to do that again, but have a little fun with flowers inside my house and outside. I am go to share with you how I am going to be decorating my room and the outside of my house with flowers from local garden centers and florists. The pictures below are my end results from my service project.



      Outside of my house, I have a medium to large size garden pot, and usually my mom and I plant flowers in it every year on Mothers Day, but after last year my mom decided to give me free range of it. This year I am going to go to my local garden center and pick out 5-6 different types of flowers to plant in the pot. I want to mix and match different types because it gives your flower pot that extra color and uniqueness to it. If you don't have a garden pot, that is totally fine, all you have to do is find a little area of dirt and designate that as where you will put your flowers. Typically to keep the flowers that you will be planting in the ground, alive, you will need to buy some type of flower food. My mom and I use miracle grow and you only have to use it once to keep your flowers alive all spring and summer.

     Another way that I will be putting flowers around the outside of my house is, I am going to buy a couple of hanging baskets. Hanging baskets are basically one type of flower all put into a basket and the flowers tend to hang over the basket. You can hang that basket from the outside of your house on a hook, or anywhere you can find where it will hang. I always like putting hanging baskets up because it is so easy to take care of, all you have to do is water it once in the morning and once at night. Hanging baskets usually lasts for two months if you water them properly, I like to leave mine up till the end of July even if they do wilt, it is still nice to have them hanging there.

     Now for around the house, this is where I will either go to my local florist, or anywhere that is selling flowers by the pod. When I think about indoor flowers, I automatically think of tulips for the spring because they are beautifully when they haven't opened and even more gorgeous after they have opened. The next flower I like to get are sunflowers and the sunflowers are usually either yellow or red. I like to get a variety of lengths for the sunflowers, typically I'll put the taller sunflowers in a tall vase in front of a window. Then the shorter sunflowers can go in a small clear jar, and those can be scattered around the room. Finally for indoor flowers, I like to go and pick up random flowers and when I get home, I'll lay them out and pair which flower goes best with and then put them in whatever glass, jar or vase I can find.


     After last year, I have really wanted to try and really get the inside and outside of my house looking ready for spring and just bright. If you have been reading for blog for awhile, you know I really like decorating and drinking things that are in season, and I would say flowers is probably the easiest way I have found to decorate for spring. If you are not one for putting flowers out, you should really try it because it makes your house smell amazing, the bright colors will lift your mood, and it just makes your house look that much better. If you want more flower inspiration I would go check out Poppy Deyes latest blog post http://www.poppydeyes.com/making-the-most-of-your-bunch/, this is where I got my inspiration to write this post. Also the pictures look amazing and gave me a lot of ideas on how I am going to organize my flowers.

From Poppy's recent blog post


No comments:

Post a Comment