Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Book Review: Looking For Alaska

     It was the beginning of sophomore year that I really became interested in the writer John Green. After watching the heart breaking movie The Fault in Our Stars, I decided to read the book and it was so well written because the imagination he has is outstanding. The next book I decided to read from John Green was Paper Towns, again the book was written so well in many ways. That was when I decided to just buy all of the books he had written, expect for Let it Snow. I then decided to read Looking For Alaska, I had already developed a love for that book but after reading all of his other books, that was when I realized that Looking For Alaska, is my favorite. It is just something about Miles story, made me realize that I was feeling the way and I also wanted a change like him, so instead of actually changing schools like Miles, I fulfilled my want by reading his journey in a new boarding school.


     Before reading the book I asked a couple of my friends what they thought of the book, and they said it was a mediocre book, so my expectations were not as high as they were for the Fault in our Stars and Paper Towns. The first couple of chapters that I read really intrigued me because as I mentioned above, Miles current life was kind of like mine at the time, and I was interested to read about his life would be like in a whole new state and school. It was good on John Greens part to try and incorporate what his current readers might be feeling. I also feel like the whole story line of someone living at a boarding school is always interesting read about or watch because you get to see how the person transitions from instead of living at home to now living with a stranger(s). Kind of like Zoey 101.

     John Green also made the book even more interesting to read about when the main character Miles tries smoking. Miles is the person who didn't really have a life and didn't have friends who would have ever made him try things. It is kind of like Miles is starting from scratch. He is going to a new school, new friends, and these new friends are going to give him new experiences. I really liked just watching how much he grew as he became more comfortable with the people around him.

     Knowing how John Green works as a writer, I kind of knew some sort of bad thing or tragedy would happen. I mean come on, the Fault in our Stars, one of the main characters died due to cancer and then in Paper Towns another one of the main characters just disappears and never returns after Quentin went on that LONG journey to find her! Pretty much in Looking for Alaska, the title is not what it sounds like. Yes there is the spunky, witty character Alaska, but the title has a different meaning then actually looking for Alaska. That is another reason why I love this book so much, you go on journey with Miles, and near the end of the journey he goes through love and heartbreak, then some soul searching.

John Green
     Not only did this book take her through someone's journey of starting from scratch, you went through his journey of love and loss. I feel like all of John Greens books are based around the mains characters journey trying to get reach something or them trying to find their eternal happiness. So if you are a sappy person like me, John Green is your man and I do encourage using all of your money and spare time to read his books.
    
**all images provided by Google

No comments:

Post a Comment