Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Healthy Breakfast Ideas

     Being in school it makes it tough for me to eat breakfast every morning because I love any extra sleep I can get. Though once I realized how tired I was throughout the day I knew I need to make breakfast more of a priority, but I still want to get as much sleep in as possible. It took me a little bit to figure out what I wanted to eat in the morning and was super quick, but I finally have a nice rotation of foods to have every morning.

     My go to breakfast is usually a bowl of cereal but I got bored of it after awhile and wanted to spice it up a bit. The usual cereal I reach for is Honey Bunches of Oats with almonds, but now I add these ingredients, variety of fruits; blueberries, raspberries, and blackberries. Then I like to add some cinnamon with a bit of honey, a little smaller than a tablespoon of flax seeds or chia seeds and finally some almond milk. I like to add these ingredients because by adding fruit I can count that into my daily fruit total of the day, and then the cinnamon gives it that hint of spice kick. For the honey, I just overall love honey so I try to find any food to incorporate it into and flax seeds has a ton of health benefits to it. Now instead of a boring bowl of cereal and milk, I have multiple ingredients that will give me 10x the more energy throughout the day.

     Another go to breakfast that takes little time is a bagel, but not an ordinary bagel. This bagel has blueberry cream cheese, blueberries and blackberries, with a drizzle of honey on top. You no longer just have a bagel with a slab of cream cheese, you have a bagel with tons of energizing ingredients on top that will leave your taste buds going crazy. I like to have this breakfast on days where I can take it with me on the go because of time constraints.

     This breakfast idea takes a bit more time in the morning but it is so worth it. You start with a piece of bread and throw it into the toaster and toast it. While that is toasting you will go over to your pan that has heated with some butter or oil in it and crack two eggs. I like to cook my eggs over easy but this breakfast will work with whatever you prefer. After the bread is toasted, you will take out ripe avocado and cut in half, take out half of the avocado and spread it onto your bread as substitute for butter. Once the eggs are cooked, you just put them on top of the avocado and bread and you have egg avocado toast. This breakfast will leave you feeling full until lunch time and it gives tons of energy to make it through your morning classes or work.


     The last breakfast idea have also takes a bit more time but it leaves you extra for the next morning. This is the classic bowl of oatmeal or porridge, but instead of ripping open a packet and throwing in some water or milk and heating it in the microwave, you will make it yourself so you know exactly what it is you are eating. I like to take 1/2 a cup of old fashioned oats and put it onto into a sauce pan on medium heat, then you add 2 cups of water. Stir the oats until it starts to boil up and kind of makes air bubbles. After it starts bubbling you can turn it to medium low heat and continue to stir until hits the consistency you prefer. Next I'll put it into a bowl and that is when I add a splash of milk, some cinnamon, tablespoon of flax seed, honey, and what fruit I have on hand. With the extra oatmeal I throw it into a container and re-heat it the next morning. This breakfast definitely leaves you full until your next meal.

     I know not everyone likes to eat breakfast in the morning for different reasons, but if you do make it a priority you will immediately tell the difference energy wise. I noticed on the days I skipped breakfast I was falling asleep in my morning classes, but on days when I did eat breakfast, I was awake and ready to do what was going on in class. Breakfast does not take much time at all in the mornings and it is very easy to make time for breakfast, it just takes motivation. These ideas I have written are perfect quick and easy breakfast ideas for anyone.

**Images provided by google and Anna SacconeJoly's blog 

No comments:

Post a Comment