Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Book Review: We Were Liars



     We Were Liars by E. Lockhart, was a book that I bought on a whim, I had some extra money I wanted to spend and the book sounded good. I had also heard from a couple of friends that the book was interesting but a bit weird/confusing. The summary gave off the impression of this rich family that get together every summer and live their perfect lives on the outside, but the inside is a big lie. After reading the book though, I have a different view on it.


     This book followed a character who did live the perfect life with the amazing beach house to escape to in the summer and live it up with family and friends and then go home to your mansion home without ever really having to work. All the money comes from the grandparents and their parents and now these people are just living off that money. The family is described as all blond/white perfect hair, and tan white skin. As you go into the book more, you see the main character start to downfall. Her dad leaves her and her mom, and during one summer the girl had an accident that gave her memory loss of that summer and thus the end of the perfect family.

     There is the cliché romance in the book, but it is kind of different with this book. The boy is a family friend, so he comes down with one of the cousins every year, and he is Indian. The grandfather of the perfect family wants to keep the blond and white skin gene running through forever, he against any other color 'imperfection' ruining that gene. So the romance is kind of forbidden I guess.

     The weird/confusing part happens near the middle of the book, and you don't really see it coming. It is one of those situations where you are reading a book and all of a sudden you get slapped, didn't see it coming, and have to re read while thinking am I reading this right? Once you figure out, yes this is right, but it doesn't make sense. I feel like this book is one of those books you can't put down but you really want to and when you finally finish it, you want to burn it or throw it out a window. Personally I hate reading these kinds of books and wish I had researched it more.

description
my feelings exactly
E. Lockhart
      I didn't want to write about the confusing part because it is better if you read it yourself, and you probably wouldn't believe me if I wrote what it was. I wouldn't recommend this book to many people because I felt like it had left out parts that needed to be put in. It felt chopping and I was being thrown around trying to get my head around what it is going on. Some parts of the book you'll be reading one scene and out of nowhere it throws in something completely different and you have to re-read so many times. But if you do like these kinds of books, then I fully recommend it, just make sure you have some sort of head pain reliever with you.

**images provided by Google
**gif provided by http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/16143347-we-were-liars
     

No comments:

Post a Comment