Monday, December 7, 2015

Winter Time

     Winter time is different all over the world. Here in the midwest in America where I live, we get hit hard with snow and very cold temperatures and when I say cold temperatures I mean -20 in fahrenheit and it is generally in the months of November through February. In other places like Florida they may get down to 50 or maybe even 40 degrees, and they are bundled up. One of my sister's lives in Florida and when it gets to around 60 she is in sweaters, jeans and boots! In other countries like Australia, their winter time is from around June to August and from what I have seen/heard, they can get some snow as well, I think it depends where you live in Australia.
Australia's winter tempertures 
     Something that I have learned about winter time in America, is that it really depends on where you live in America to experience winter. On the west coast area, they tend to not have winter like the midwest, their winter is usually in the 50's to 70's range and they might get a few cold fronts. I have a family member who lives in Arizona and they visited the Midwest one time and it was snowing, and they were so excited because they generally don't get snow. 

Winter in the Midwest
     Once you reach the midwest from Minnesota to Texas, we get snow like no other, but I think the more north you are the more snow you get. Now on the east coast it is a bit more complicated, from Maine to around North Carolina, they get hit pretty hard with snow as well but from South Carolina to Florida they may see a flake here or there. Also it is kind of funny when states that generally don't get snow, actually get snow and it may be an inch or two and they cancel school right away, but here in the midwest if we get like five inches we still have school. It is because in the states that don't get snow they don't have the equipment like snow plows and all but it is still funny to watch those states freak out. 

     Even though you live the same country, people experience different winters. My friend went on a retreat recently in Indiana and there were around 24,000 people there and it was snowing and my friend told me that you could definitely tell which parts of the country people were from based on their reaction to the snow. Also in different parts of the world countries experience winter in different months and in different ways based on which side of the equator you are on. I think it's always funny seeing people's reactions to the winter time and how happy or sad they can be towards winter. For me I love the cold because than you get to lay under tons of layers of blankets. 

**information provided by http://www.australia.com/en/facts/australias-seasons.html
** pictures provided by Google

No comments:

Post a Comment