Saturday, December 5, 2015

Evolution of Gifts

     Let's all be honest and say that gifts are one of the best parts of Christmas, and I mean giving gifts and receiving gifts. I have noticed though that as people grow older, their gift wishes change. What I mean is that when you are young like around 10 and under, you ask for legos, barbies, iron man, stuff like that but as you get older into the teen age you start to want gift cards. It is not a bad thing to just want gift cards, but the exciting thing about giving someone a present is seeing their reaction to the item you purchased or made specially for them because you know the person really well.

     When I was younger my thought process was the more gifts the better. I wanted different styles of tamagotchi's, board games, bratz dolls (yes I did love those at one point), cd's, etc. My parents always loved watching my sisters and I open our presents because they got to see the joy in our eyes as we opened up the gifts that they had thought about and bought us because they knew it would make us happy.

     As I and probably many other people started to grow older our wants are starting to turn into give me money or give me gift cards. Yes gift cards and money do make people happy when they open it because you know you don't have to spend your own money to get stuff, but it's not something that you can play with or use right away. Also it is not something that a relative or friend didn't really have to think about or put much care into it, it is sort of like a "hey I didn't know what to get you so here is a gift card!". There is the other side of it to when it gets to the point that you can't tell someone exactly what you want, you just say here get me a gift card so I can find the right thing.

     At Christmas time when you are spending your time with loved ones, there is a lot of food eating and gift giving. Your gifts could be large, small, simple, complex, whatever but as you get older in life you start to expect less from people. No more lego sets or barbie dolls, as you get older it gets harder for family to choose gifts for you because you now have your own likes or dislikes especially when it comes to clothes.

No comments:

Post a Comment