Thursday, January 28, 2016

Making Brownies... the Heathly Way?!

     Over the years I have come to the realization that I really like chocolate. If you make a pan of brownies, I can devour them easily. As I have grown up though, I have tried to make my obsession
into a healthier way. I recently found my love for dark chocolate, and it is proven that dark chocolate is not bad for you at all, in moderation of course. I have also learned to use new ways to make a healthier version of a chocolate brownie that doesn't taste bad if you make it right.

 
     There are many ingredients that you can easily substitute out. In brownies you need some sort of fat and the usual go to is butter, but instead you can use one avocado. You are probably thinking, ew no gross, but you can't actually taste it. The next substitute you can do is take out vegetable oil, and switch it for coconut oil. Over the past year or two, I have noticed a great increase of people using coconut oil and I can't believe I didn't switch to it sooner because it tastes just the same as vegetable oil or olive oil, and it is so much better for your body. Another substitute is sugar, instead you can use coconut sugar. Coconut sugar is a bit more grainy so if you don't like that kind of texture you can just use regular sugar. This is not a substitute but it does give your brownie more crunch and flavor, you can add walnuts, pecans, or any nut that you think would taste the best in your brownie and trust me, it makes a difference. Last substitute, is instead of using milk or semi sweet chocolate chips, try dark chocolate, it gives the taste of your brownie a deeper flavor.
 

 
     I made these brownies a couple of days ago and personally they did not turn out right for me because my avocado was not very ripe, and it made it very hard to get it to a mashed creamy consistency. Another thing that went wrong was you need to make sure the coconut oil is completely melted before you add the chocolate and then you mix the coconut sugar when the chocolate is creamy and still warm, that will decrease the amount of graininess, practice makes perfect though! Overall I think this recipe is great for people who really love brownies and don't want to give them up and you can add a cheeky scoop of vanilla ice cream.

**you can get the complete recipe from; Love Tanya by Tanya Burr, or you can google 'Tanya Burr Healthy Chocolate Brownies'**
**picture provided by Tanya Burr

No comments:

Post a Comment